In the 18th Century the highly attractive estate of Kilronan was passed to the Tennison Family, and subsequently to the Earl of Kingston in the late 19th Century. It is comprised of 49 acres of pastureland in need of woodlands; the Estate is located on the shores of Lough Meelagh in North Co. Roscommon, between Ballyfarnan and Keadue. Some 15 kilometres North West of Carrick-on-Shannon and 30 kilometres South East of Sligo. The Estate is also just 30 kilometres North West of Mohill and the Lough Rynn Estate where the Hanly Group are also building the Hotel and Leisure Complex of Lough Rynn Estate.
The Castle seems to have been built in 2 separate periods. The original part was built by Colonel King Tennison to replace the pre-existing house. The building was a 3 story, 2 base symmetrical castellated blocks with slender corner turrets. The rooms are considered well proportioned and there was a delicate fan vaulting plasterwork on the stairs and landing. There was also subterranean tunnel from the direction of the wall garden, still in tact, which was used by castle staff and tenants of the Estate, in the 1870’s when King Tennisonís daughter married the 8th Earl of Kingston.
In 1939 the contents of the castle were sold by auction, including furniture that belonged to Napoleon. The castle was later used by a section of the construction core who were engaged in rural building in the Arigna Mountains.
The group is currently developing Kilronan Castle Estate with the aim of providing a Hotel of outstanding quality which will rank with the best of castles and other historic property hotels throughout Ireland. It will be a luxury landmark facility for counties Roscommon, Leitrim and the entire North West region of Ireland.